Friday, June 13, 2014

A Green Milk Paint Table


This petite drop leaf table was begging for a rustic makeover. I headed out to the hardware store in our area that carries The Real Milk Paint Co. to decide what new colors should be purchased. This color is Green. Not really a shade I'm drawn to, but thought it would fit this little table perfectly, plus it's fun to try new colors. 
I lightly sanded this piece and then cleaned it before painting. 




If you're a diyer and after that super chippy look, you really should try a true Milk Paint that comes in powder form. It's so easy to use and in a lot of cases practically does the hard work for you. I painted 2 coats after mixing equal parts powder to water. I didn't add any bonding agent because I wanted it to be chippy. 


As you can see from the above picture, the paint starts to pull away as it's drying. In my experience, it's random and really unpredictable, which is one of the things I love about a true Milk Paint. Once my second coat was dry, I took a fine grit sanding block to the entire table. Like I said, it really does the work for you at this point. The paint decides where it will chip off and be distressed. Easy peasy! The paint stuck a bit more to the top where I sanded better to get rid of some of the nicks. So I did have to sand a bit more and decide where I wanted distressing. 
I used Minwax in Special Dark to enrich the color and seal the Milk Paint. It went on beautifully and buffed to a nice shine. This was my first time using Minwax in Special Dark. I was really happy with the way it went on and buffed out. I will definitely be using it on future projects. 
This little table has a new lease on life and is ready for a new home. It's now available at The Design Cottage in Tacoma Wa. 

Thanks for stopping by! Hope you found something useful 
Aurora 










3 comments:

  1. Love this color! Is the paint actually called Green? I'm going to have to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melody! Yes, the Real Milk Paint Co. has several shades of green but this color is called Green.

      Delete